NFT mania is making content creators punchdrunk.
It’s exciting but it’s easy to get overwhelmed. I spoke recently about my experiment with decentralized, Web 3.0 platform, Bitclout. What a ride it has been. Bitclout has helped me grow my email list which is the lifeblood of everything I do.
Without email subscribers, I become a victim of the social media algorithms controlled by the likes of Zuckerburgers all around the world. From experience, they tend to choose ads that make them money over my content. NFTs and a decentralized web put Zucks out of business.
Recently, Bitclout got into the NFT (Non-Fungible-Token) game. Let me explain what it means and how you can make money from it, so you can buy back your time.
The Simple Guide to Minting an NFT like a Badass
A NFT is a digital representation of something. Right now NFTs are simply tokens that represent art or collectibles. In the future, the use cases for NFTs will expand. Literally anything in the physical or online world can be tokenized.
Minting an NFT is where you turn a piece of content into a token that is registered on the blockchain. That artwork then becomes tamper-proof and can’t be changed the same way a gold coin is minted.
NFTs can be minted on various blockchain platforms. Right now most NFTs are minted on Ethereum. This explains why the price of Ethereum is skyrocketing because the network is doing real transactions that equal money.
Generally, you can’t transfer an NFT between blockchains just like you can’t easily transfer a Facebook video to Youtube with all of the comments attached. But that doesn’t matter. Don’t get romantic about platforms.
I minted my NFT on the Bitclout social media platform because it’s so damn easy, a pre-schooler can do it with their mommy’s phone.
Bitclout has an exact copy of Twitter. This is where the magic happens.
- Go to Bitclout on a desktop or laptop.
- Publish the equivalent of a tweet on Bitclout.
- Click the three dots at the top of your post.
- Click the big green button that says “Mint NFT.”
5. Set how many copies of the NFT will be available.
6. Set the minimum bid in USD.
7. Decide how much of the sale price you will keep, and how much money you will give to your loyal followers (love this feature as it gives people a reason to follow you that makes them money, although in this example they must have bought the Tim Denning coin.
8. Add optional benefits to the buyers of your NFT. You could bundle your NFT with a free ticket to a live event, a free Q&A, a coaching session, a lunch, etc.
9. Click Mint NFT.
10. Now the auction for your NFT starts. The winner(s) will pay the fee for your NFT directly into your Bitclout digital wallet. From there you can cash it out for delicious US dollars, or even more delicious, Bitcoin.
Screenshot taken by me
Prediction: In the future, tickets to events will be NFTs. Read that again.
Other places to create and sell your NFTs
You can mint an NFT, auction it, sell it, and collect the money on multiple marketplaces outside of Bitclout. Here are a few marketplaces to check out:
OpenSea powered by the Ethereum blockchain is the most popular.
To mint an NFT on a marketplace, you will need a digital wallet to electronically sign the content. The easiest wallet to use is Metamask, although I use the Coinbase wallet.
- Go to OpenSea.
- In the far top right, click the wallet icon.
- Connect your Metamask wallet by signing a transaction.
- Go back to the OpenSea homepage and click “create.”
- Follow the instructions and upload your NFT.
- Then click create (mint) at the bottom of the page.
Now you have minted an NFT and it is being sold on the biggest NFT marketplace on the internet.
What this means for you
If you’re a content creator, you now have another revenue stream. You can take your top highlights from your blog posts or your best tweets, and publish them on Bitclout. Then you can take that content and mint it into an NFT.
Pretty soon you will be able to mint entire stories, articles, and blog posts as NFTs. Imagine selling a viral article you wrote to the highest bidder and making $20,000. This isn’t a dream. This new reality is coming for all content creators and it’s bloody exciting.
You’ll make more from an NFT than royalties or an email list in the future. Learn about NFTs. Start turning short content into NFTs. Make a little money. Reinvest the profits back into your content.
The future for content creators is being built right in front of you. Pay attention and be an early adopter to maximize the opportunity.